Prep Time: 12 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Sesame Turkey Meatballs with Steamed Broccoli and Rice
Meal prep is a low-cost way to make incredibly tasty, high-quality meals that anyone would look forward to eating. You put the effort in over the weekend then you’re done! Enjoying a healthy lunch every day is crucial to maintaining a healthy diet and it isn’t as difficult as you may think. Take this recipe for example. Turkey meatballs with steamed broccoli and rice is a meal packed with Asian inspired flavor but isn’t overdone and uses ingredients you probably have in your kitchen right now. You can follow the recipe as is, double or even triple it depending on how many lunches you would like to prepare in advance and then wait for the compliments to roll in. The turkey meatballs are flavorful, not at all dry, the broccoli is tender yet crisp plus it pairs beautifully with the light glaze and cooking the rice in broth takes it beyond just filler.
- 1 pound lean ground turkey
- ¼ cup minced onion
- 2 garlic cloves, grated
- 1 large egg, beaten
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- Black or white sesame seeds, for garnish
- 1 cup white rice
- 2 cups reduced-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- ½ tablespoon sesame oil
- Kosher salt and black pepper
- 1 medium head of broccoli, cut into florets
- 3 tablespoons water
- Kosher salt and black pepper, to taste
- ¼ cup low sodium soy sauce or tamari
- 1 garlic clove, grated
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger
- 2 tablespoons honey or light brown sugar
- ½ cup fresh orange juice
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- Calories 680
- Total Fat 23.6g – Percent Daily Value 36%
- Saturated Fat 8.3g – Percent Daily Value 41%
- Trans Fat 0.2g
- Cholesterol 173mg – Percent Daily Value 58%
- Sodium 1477mg – Percent Daily Value 62%
- Total Carbohydrate 80g – Percent Daily Value 27%
- Dietary Fiber 5g – Percent Daily Value 20%
- Sugars 18g
- Protein 42g – Percent Daily Value 82%
- Vitamin A 19%
- Vitamin C 191%
- Calcium 15%
- Iron 25%
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Mix all the meatball ingredients in a large bowl.
- Roll into 21 small meatballs and place onto the baking sheet.
- Drizzle with the oil and bake for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, add the rice and broth to a medium saucepan.
- Bring to a boil on high heat.
- Reduce heat to medium and let cook for 15 minutes or until rice is tender but still has some bite.
- Drizzle rice with sesame oil and season to taste with salt and black pepper
- Transfer florets to a microwave-safe bowl with the water.
- Cover with a plate and microwave on high for 3 minutes or until broccoli is tender but still has some bite.
- When the meatballs are almost done, whisk the glaze ingredients together in a bowl.
- Microwave for 45 seconds or until thickened.
- Divide the meatballs, rice, and broccoli among three meal prep containers.
- Drizzle the meatballs and broccoli with the glaze then garnish meatballs with sesame seeds.
- Refrigerate and pack for lunch as needed. The meal tastes great at room temperature.